Husky Energy Inc. operates oil and gas fields, petroleum refineries, petrochemical plants, and fuel stations. Operations are divided between the Integrated Corridor and Offshore divisions. Common and preferred shares are listed on the Toronto (HSE) exchange.
Husky Refining was founded in Cody, Wyoming in 1938 and moved its Riverton, Wyoming refinery to Lloydminster, Alberta in 1946 to process heavy oil into asphalt and bunker fuel. Husky common shares were first listed in Canada in 1949. In 1953, Husky's Canadian operations were incorporated as Husky Oil with shares issued in both the US and Canada. The company purchased the refining and marketing assets of Frontier Refining in 1967. The refining and marketing assets of Union Oil, including the Prince George refinery, were acquired in 1976. Nova (formerly known as Alberta Gas Trunk Line) gained control of Husky in 1978.
The company pursued private ownership with Li Ka-shing in 1987 and acquired Canterra Energy in 1989. Hutchison Whampoa and Li Ka-shing became Husky‘s majority shareholders in 1991. The company acquired Norcen's interests in the White Rose and Terra Nova fields in 1995 and additional interests from Denison Mines Ltd. and Norsk Hydro in 1998. In 2000, Renaissance Energy was acquired, and the company became publicly listed on the Toronto stock exchange. The company acquired Avid Oil & Gas and Titanium Oil & Gas in 2001 as well as Marathon Canada and the western Canadian assets of Marathon Oil in 2003.